Tails, short for The Amnesic Incognito Live System, has Ad-block preinstalled on its Iceweasel (Firefox based) browser, it comes with many other privacy enhancing tools to stop companies and repressive Governments tracking down Internet users.
This Debian based Linux live CD enables you to hide your IP address while surfing the Internet, it comes preconfigured to use the anonymous tor network for all outgoing connections, this will hide your IP at all times, you do not need to know anything about Linux to use it, just download the ISO file burn it to a CD, reboot your computer, MAC or PC, and it will work straight out of the box.
Anonymous live CD features
- Supports mobile broadband devices like 3G USB dongles
- Can be booted up from a USB thumbdrive instead of a live CD
- Multilingual support including Arabic, Chinese and Spanish in between other languages
- Firewall drops incoming packets by default
- Instant Messenger Pidgin comes with the OTF messaging plugin to proxy communications through tor
- Internet browser comes with the HTTPS Everywhere, FireGPG and Ad-block extensions
- Stops cold boot attacks by wiping RAM memory on shutdown
- Virtual keyboard available to stop keyloggers
- Support for i2p eepsites, hidden websites hosted anonymously
- Email client ClawsMail comes with GnuPG support to encrypt email messages
Live CD with encryption & file deletion
The Amnesic Incognito Live System includes secure-delete integrated on its file manager, a program to wipe free disk space and sensitive files, a front end encryption key manager called SeaHorse will take care of digital signatures and GPG encryption keys.
If you are comfortable with Linux command line you can take advantage of cryptsetup to encrypt files and macchanger to change your computer MAC address. Those are only the security features, open source everyday software for production purposes includes OpenOffice.org to edit documents, The Gimp to edit photos, Audacity to edit sound files and many others.
This operating system to hide your IP address has two preconfigured users: amnesia and root, the password is the same for both of them, amnesia.